Friday, February 20, 2009

I Miss Bacon

As I said in my post yesterday, you can actually eat quite a lot of food on this plan albeit in teeny tiny quantities. Some foods are, of course, taboo no matter what. I knew I would miss some of them - bagels, pasta, ice cream, real cheese (oh Epoisse how I long for your rich creaminess...I even miss you, simple chedder), but some foods have rather surprised me such as bacon, cashews and peanut butter.

I did tend to eat a lot of cashews, so maybe that really should not be a surprise, but bacon and peanut butter (mm mm - bacon and peanut butter sandwiches - a childhood favorite) were a once in a blue moon kind of thing. So why the odd cravings for them?

I usually associate odd cravings with my body needing something. Not if it is chocolate cake of course, but, for example, I am not a big beef eater but there are those times when I desperately want a burger. I usually indulge such cravings because I figure my body needs the iron or something else that is in the beef. But peanut butter and bacon? I can't for the life of me think what they could contain that my body would need except salt.

Very curious.

3 comments:

  1. Bacon just has an unholy grip on people, I swear. I was vegetarian for a while and I had to quit because the pull of bacon was just too strong.

    Are you allowed to have veggie bacon? Morningstar Farms make a version that I love in a fakin, lettuce and tomato sandwich.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a feeling any bacon is off limits due to the salt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bummer. So you're not allowed to have a lot of salt, either? That would make me sad.

    ReplyDelete